Skip to main content

At Home


For my brother, who left this world too soon

I did not follow you to the fields
to plow the dark, cool soil
by night, after a day’s work for cash.
But I know how your boy-frame hunched
forward in the tractor seat to hug the wheel,
how moonlight fell across your bare back,
how the engine’s hum mesmerized you.
Farm boy, at home in the family fields.

I did not follow you on the open road
sailing into the heartland
to lush wheat ripe for harvest.
But I know you drove fast with windows down,
wind rushing against your face, plains sweeping
toward Litchfield, Des Moines, Moline,
big farm territory, wide-open sky.
John Deere boy, at home in the vast Midwest.

I did not follow you to West Tennessee
as you greeted coffee-guzzling farmers
mornings in the café, raising a flat palm.
But I know the ring of your Hel-lo-o-o!
as sunburned faces crinkled - chewing tobacco
or smoking expensive cigars - men calling out,
Hey Dave! Y’all got a 9550 combine?
John Deere man, at home on the flatlands.

I did not follow you on your last dark journey,
But I know you squared your shoulders against
the lonely terrain, and I like to think
that a brilliant light caught the blue of your eyes
as you came into kinder country and strained to
glimpse a familiar face, and when you did -
A sweeping wave, a big Hel-lo-o-o! -
You were at home.

pgallaher@copyright 2019

www.phyllisgobbell.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What We Keep, What We Throw Away

What We Keep, What We Throw Away             The rain began that Saturday morning and pounded Nashville all day.  It was a driving, insistent rain that drowned out thoughts of anything else, even before the local news preempted programming to report cars stranded on the interstates and residents trapped in their homes by rising waters.             My daughter Caroline, with husband Luke, two-year-old Max, and Randolf, the Jack Russell, lived in a neighborhood bordered by a creek that at times rose and mimicked white rapids for a little while. But never had the creek jumped its banks. On this day, it did.             One neighbor’s bridge had washed away, Caroline told me in her first call that afternoon. Another neighbor’s back yard was a lake, with water already seeping into the house.             If only the rain would stop. Caroline and Luke could still see their yard. They could still drive out to the street. But the rain showed no sign of letting up.             In

Storyteller

Storyteller pgallaher copyright@2018 In the years before he died  (one month short of ninety-nine) Grandaddy used to comment how   “the world has changed too awful much.” Born in the nineteenth century  he had uncles who fought for the South dragged their mangled bodies home,  haunted by Shiloh , they lived to tell.    Grandaddy recalled their tales to us,  Uncle Eli saved by an Indian, Grandaddy’s mother was Cherokee, h e liked stories where the Indians prevailed. Blind for decades, he knew  our voices, knew our faces, our hands. With crippled fingers, he dialed the phone, talked  with a young friend, eighty. Long bare of teeth, his sunken mouth  etched in permanent contentment, he recalled the snake bite when he was five,  showed his stick leg, his gnarled foot. Told how an aeroplane traversed the skies  ‘long about nineteen ten , and Riley, the little-bit-crazy brother, cried,  “Go back, Jesus!   Don’t take me yet!” Grandaddy listened to

On Father's Day

My father belonged to the generation and culture of Southern men that seriously avoided any talk of feelings. He was no-nonsense, work-from-dawn-till-dusk, back as straight as a two-by-four, but he had his gentle moments. His hands were rough, his arms lean and powerful, and he would scoop me up one-handed after a day in the fields, and I would rub my small fingers across his bristly jawline. He wiped away tears when he left me at college and, later, when we said goodbye at the airport, as I headed for the Peace Corps. My father declared his love for Jesus in heartfelt prayers, but he never told me he loved me. I don’t believe I ever told him I loved him, either.             Our family was poor, though I didn’t know it. I had everything I needed, more than   many families in our rural community. Daddy paid for medicine that other men could not buy for their children. He put men to work when he didn’t need their help. Men would come to the back door owing Daddy money and leave with